I like helping others. When I am asked for help and agree to help someone, I intend to follow through on my commitment. I am not a person who offers help only to make an excuse when I can’t keep a promise. If I can’t take on a project or am unavailable to help, I will kindly say so. Sometimes my inability to provide help is not taken well.
I had been volunteering at the animal shelter since 2001. After Richard died in 2005, I continued working at the shelter while I worked full time at the bank and began volunteering my time at my church. All went well for a while but then it seemed that I was expected to attend meetings or activities at church every night of the week. By mid-2008, I was becoming exhausted by my activities and thought I was clear about my desire to limit my activities at church so I could have more time for myself. No one was listening to me when I said I needed some time to myself. I attended a church council meeting during the Fall and was horrified when I was elected for an important position in the church. I felt anger as the votes came in and I was elected as the financial secretary in addition to my other responsibilities. I sat down at my computer later that evening and composed two letters – one of them a letter of resignation from all church activities and the other letter of resignation from my activities at the animal shelter. I received an email message the next day from someone at my church demanding that I “explain myself.” I know that person reads my blog so I hope I have sufficiently “explained myself” in this post.
During the latter part of 2008, I was working full-time, going to college at night and beginning my relationship with Stephen. A friend called to ask me if I would help him create an eBay business. He had no background in running an on-line business and the process would have been too time-consuming for me to take on at the time. I thought he would understand when I told him that I couldn’t take on the project. He didn’t understand and apparently resented my decision not to assist him in this project. While at dinner with a group of friends over the holidays, one of G.’s friends mentioned across the table (and loud enough for everyone to hear him) that I should have made the time to help G. with the eBay business. Then I felt bad because G. complained about it to his friend. The result would have been the same if I had promised to help and then broke my promise when I didn’t have the time to help him.
It is impossible and impractical to expect someone to always be available and willing to agree to do every favor or task that is needed. My ability to set boundaries for myself means that someone is going to be unhappy when I am unable to help when needed.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, I’m Busy – De Nile | DCMontreal
- Daily Prompt: Denial « Vicariously Poetic
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, I’m Busy | Under the Monkey Tree
- S. Thomas Summers | Deny, Deny, Deny
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, I’m too busy to help | storyofmylife1993
- Morrissey, Damien Dempsey and Men’s Liberation Day. | Janey Macken Street!
- the UNCATEGORISED | Daily Prompt: in denial about SUNDAYS | the TRASH BASH
- Am I really that unhelpful? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Naked Betrayal: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Fancy doing my homework? | Neva Samaki
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, I’m busy. | thecommonmap
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, Mummy’s Busy | littlegirlstory
- Sometimes Helping Is Not Helping | The Jittery Goat
- Denial: Daily Prompt | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Just a few seconds « RPMAS
- The “Sorry…I’m Busy” Excuse | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, I’m Busy « Mama Bear Musings
- To Help or Not to Help? That is (seriously) the Question. | Imagineer @ Work
- Waiting For the Light to Turn Green | Not a Punk Rocker
- It is not always wanted… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Sorry I’m Busy | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- What The Flock? | Just Visiting This Planet
- Sorry, I’m Busy: This is What I’ve Been Doing | Khana’s Web
- Deal with it, Move on, Now go help. | Romelga writes
- Daily Prompt: Sorry, I’m busy | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl